Thursday, 9 December 2010

Women's eyebrows, or: the look of constant surprise

Women pluck, bleach, thread, shave... their eyebrows for some reason. Eyebrows have to be a particular arched shape and length, and it is the hairs below which are plucked, in order to make your eyes look bigger. This makes for a 'raised-eyebrow effect, or, as Susan Brownmiller mockingly remarks, a look of constant surprise.

I used to pluck my eyebrows. I first had it done at the hairdresser's (another institution I haven't seen from the inside for years), which cost money and was painful. Then I bought myself my first pair of tweezers and started plucking myself, which was tedious and painful. Then I couldn't find my tweezers in my suitcase when I was abroad, and I had to watch my eyebrows grow back!!! It was terrible!!! I'm still traumatized!!! What am I supposed to do with full natural eyebrows? My face doesn't look refined enough! It is suddenly ill-proportioned!

Why can't women leave their eyebrows alone and get on with more rewarding things in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment